Sulzbuerg has a history dating back 5000 years. Numerous finds (now shown in the Landl-Museum) show a settlement of the castle hill since the early Stone Age. Metal finds also date
to the bronze age (1800-800 B.C.) and the Iron Age. A circle wall on the nearby Schlupfelberg served as protection against enemies.
This year shows the first records of the existence of Sulzbuerg. The Emperor himself loaned Sulzbuerg and the surrounding area to a noble family from nearby Wettenhofen. Now as knights of Sulzbuerg they started
building the Lower Sulzbuerg castle and establishing law and order.
Emperor Karl IV. (King of Bohemia) confirms and emphasizes feudal tenure and order for administration. After that the Lords of Sulzbuerg, who call themselves “von Wolfstein” began building the Upper Sulzbuerg castle.
At this time previously expelled Jewish families received the right to live in the area. The growing Jewish community soon stimulated the economy in the area due to their business sense.
The importance of the Wolfstein family at Upper Sulzbuerg was upgraded by the appointment as barons.
At the request of the Wolfstein family, Emperor Karl IV grants the village of Sulzbuerg the right to have a market. With the right to hold weekly markets, the village developed into a small commerce center. The previous
jurymen became market councilors.
The granting of a coat of arms increases the importance of the market place. A seal can now confirm documents: a green three-peak hill with a bowl of jellied fish.
The barons adopt the Lutheran-Protestant creed (Reformation of 1571) and the citizens follow without being compelled to.
The 30 years war does not spare either civilians or the castle. It is assumed that approximately 80% of the buildings and farms in the village and the surrounding area became deserted. The castle was burned and the
baron was captured.
Protestant refugees who came from the area along the Enns River in Austria are admitted to Sulzbuerg and have the opportunity to start a new existence on the deserted farms.
They call their new home “Landl”. Up
to now the older generation used this name for the area around Sulzbuerg, the previous territory of the Lords of Wolfstein. This name was also used for the Sulzbuerg home museum “Landl museum”.
The family Wolfstein of Sulzbuerg which at that time also owned castles in Allersberg and Pyrbaum, received another increase in their importance through the Emperors favor: they were appointed imperial counts.
Lord Christian Albrecht, who intended to improve all the churches in Landl by renovation, reconstruction, or even new buildings, dies without a male successor. The territory is the first closed Protestant area annexed by
the Bavarian electorate under separate administration. Therefore this region (the „Landl“) is often named as the origin of the „Church of Bavaria“.
Due to unforeseeable circumstances during the renovation and reconstruction work, the Upper Sulzbuerg castle becomes dilapidated and is sold as quarry.
The Sulzbuerg market, which has been independent for more than 400 years is broken up and becomes a part of the community of Muhlhausen.